About Me

My photo
I live on purpose. Meaning, I have a purposeful life. Nearly 28 years in every branch of the United States Army. Successful business owner, Avid student, Insightful teacher, Staunch Advocate, Fierce competitor and overall Social butterfly. I am a full-time teacher and student, I give as good as I get while continually evolving into what I will actually be known and remembered for once I no longer grace the visible plane. Learning vicariously through the actions of others has served me well, and helped me to get immersed in a vast arena of pursuits over the years. I cherish my internal solitude, while nourishing my social butterfly nature. I simply. . . AM! As said by Yoda. . . Do, or do not do. There is no try. So, Eat live to live well, sing like you're in the shower, dance like no ones watching, love like you've never been hurt and eat the rainbow without counting calories.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

RAWSOME FOODS TO MAKE AND ENJOY

RAWsome RECIPES

For a couple of weeks I scoured different combinations.  I made others recipes and made some up and in a mashup.  I have what I think is a great Southern staple....GREENS!

Down Home Greens

1 bunch kale or turnip greens,1 bunch collard greens,
2 tbsp. flaxseed oil,
1/4 lemon, juiced, 
3 tbsp. unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, 
1 1/2 tbsp. unheated honey, (if you like a little sweetness in your greens)
1–2 garlic cloves, pressed, 
1 tsp. ground cumin, 
1/2 scant tsp. Celtic sea salt or to taste 
1) Wash the greens and cut out the rib going almost all the way down the middle of the leaf (save for juicing).
2) Lay the greens one on top of the other and then fold in half and roll the whole bunch into a tight roll. (You'll probably have to do this twice to use all the greens.) Starting at one end of the roll, cut into very thin slivers. Put the slivers into a large bowl and set aside.  

3) In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients and blend well into a dressing.  
4) Toss the greens with the dressing until they are well coated. Put approx. 3 heavy plates directly on top of the greens. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight. The plates help compress the dressing into the tough green leaves. These greens could also be served just freshly prepared, but you may need time to get used to the flavor.

**Shout Out to Isa Chandra, (Post Punk Kitchen) THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST VEGAN CORNBREAD RECIPE I'VE MADE - However the best I ate was at a restaurant in Clarksville, MD called Green Sage..


Vegan Cornbread

by IsaChandra

Makes 12 to 16 squares
This is a delicious basic vegan cornbread. It is moist and crunchy and corntastic. It is not a sweet bread, but a bread to be savored with soup or smothered with guacamole. For best results, use old-fashioned cornmeal.
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 cups soymilk (or the mylk of your choice)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350, line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper or spray the bottom lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, wisk together the soymilk and the vinegar and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt).
Add the oil and maple syrup to the soymilk mixture. Wisk with a wire wisk or a fork until it is foamy and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
Pour the wet ingredient into the dry and mix together using a large wooden spoon or a firm spatula. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Slice into squares and serve warm or store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment